Wednesday, July 27, 2011

We are in this world, but not of this world

We are in this world, but not of this world
John 17:16
They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.
I just finished reading two really good books about 2 boys who died & went to Heaven. It is so interesting to read their stories. What really amazed me was how they viewed things thru new eyes; eternal eyes. They also had a LONGING to go back to Heaven and looked forward to the day it would be their permanent home.


Philippians 3:20-4:1
                         But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives




Just like the song that goes, “And the things of Earth will go strangely dim, in the light of His Glory & Grace”, this earth has dimmed for them & their focus is on Heaven and Kingdom living. 

Oh, that I could live like this and always have a God focus.  I will always fall short of this on this side of Heaven.  Today’s troubles & worries about tomorrow so often become my focus and I lose sight of my real purpose.  So many times my thoughts are on things that will not make one iota of difference tomorrow.

Colossians 3:2
 Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth.

It is good to be cautious though, we do not want to be so Heavenly minded that we are of no earthly good.


There is a cosmic battle going on; an unseen world all around us.



In the early 80’s there was a book out by Frank Peretti called “This Present Darkness”  This was the 1st time it really hit home to me, that this spiritual battle was a very REAL thing.


I think before this it was a very vague, impersonal thing.  More like the Donald Duck cartoon.  I certainly did not grasp the seriousness of it.


Prayer is a mighty weapon for us to use in this battle.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5
We are human, but we don’t wage war as humans do. We use God’s mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments. We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ.


However, we have a Hope.  The battle may be raging, but the War has been won.  We’ve read the book and know how the story ends.

Revelation 20:10

And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.


Have any of you read these books?  Did it leave a lasting impression on you?  Share your thoughts.

Thanks for visiting Heart of the Home today
Many Blessings,
Missy


















 












2 comments:

  1. Today’s troubles & worries about tomorrow so often become my focus and I lose sight of my real purpose. So many times my thoughts are on things that will not make one iota of difference tomorrow.

    Colossians 3:2
    Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth.

    Thanks, Missy - needed this today.
    Joy!
    Miss Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miss Kathy! You are always such a blessing & encouragement to me. I really appreciate your words of wisdom. Missy

    ReplyDelete